In this series of images, twenty individuals representative of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered (GLBT) community, will be speaking out about the discrimination they must face due to their deviance in social normality. Each individual captured in this series has shared their story and hurt with the photographer and asked to record, on paper, something they have heard or experienced concerning their sexuality. Each person is real. Each word written is felt.
Here is the artist statement which will be on the inside cover of the book:







I'm still not sure what kind of title I want to use but I know that I will be writing it on paper and using an image like this for the cover:












I like the "I am gay" one because I feel like it's more personal. The people in the series are using words that someone has spoken to them so it makes sense to use something that they said to that person. However, not all of these people are gay or identify with that label. So, it's a little tricky there... so I came up with the second one. Now, I'm just battling with what I want to do. Suggestions? Oh yeah, and these pictures are just rough drafts of what I want to do. I'll change the handwriting and they won't be crooked in the final images.



17 comments:

  1. WOW.

    This will be heart wrenching.

    The handwriting is working. Go for it!
    For the title, perhaps you choose one of the statements from your favorite photograph--making sort of a poetic title instead of a definitive one like "I am Gay."

    I think it is ok if the title of the book is provocative too.
    Keep it up. It is strong!

    x,
    v

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your font style for the statement. That handwriting make me feel this is your own stuff. keep it work. this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the handwriting and notebook paper a lot. I think it makes it so much more personal and it ties in with the written statements that people are holding up in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really liking the handwriting on notebook paper. These images are so strong. You are doing a great job. I agree with Val about the title, make it provocative.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. the look is great. this is intense. i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very strong idea, although I believe you should make the title like something that was told like unnaccepted or something to that affect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the title "I am Gay" but I like the style of the second title. Maybe try the thinner style in one straight line?? And your artist statement is right on but try adding a little leading (space) between the lines so it's easier to read.. but just a little. haha It's looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I very much prefer "I am gay." The other one is less personal and losses me. I am liking the strong viewpoints, it's like candy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like the fact u are putting the statement on the back of the cover and that ur keeping it consistent with the other font. I agree, and think u should go with the "i am gay" title, its more striking and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You artist statement looks really good and I actually like the font of it. Personally I prefer the I am gay cover. It does make the book seem more personal. Although if you do what val said and go ahead and put one of the statements that someone gives you on it that would be successful too I think.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  11. The continuity of the handwriting is working well. I encourage the more direct title, it seems more appropriate, no need to beat around the bush.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i do like the personal touch of the handwriting. and while the "i am gay" title goes along with this, some of the individuals may not particularly define themselves in that way or choose different terminology to describe their sexual preferences. the images are really strong. i may know some people willing to take photos for it. i will get back to you on that though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Using the notebook paper for your cover works well and I definitely like the type of font you have used. Using both titles would work; you might want to use one as your main title and another one as a subtitle.

    --Nick Miller

    ReplyDelete
  14. The handwritten font is conducive with the storytellers' signage. This is so much more personal than a generic font. I agree with Alex that perhaps you should take a poll from your subjects as to how they would like to be addressed.

    Great concept!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  15. The handwriting you are using for the statement is awesome! I like the idea of you using the "i am gay" as the title rather than the other one. I also really like the layout for the book! Keep up the great work! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. The font is working well for me! Maybe work on the titles a litte more, something deep!

    ReplyDelete